Login
register search gameSlave

GTA4
Page 1  2  3 
ralinn

ninja?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
27 April 2008 14:58  Edited by ralinn on 27-Apr-08 at 14:58 Reply (Quote this message)
Well, I've never really been into the GTA's but this so far this has been getting 10/10's from IGN US and UK so I can't help but wonder what the fuss is all about. Is anyone else planning on getting it on Tuesday? Apparently the multiplayer is amazing.

Think I'll be getting it on the 360 as I don't know many people with a PS3.

Woof, I'm a clown!
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
27 April 2008 15:05 Reply (Quote this message)
Hmm if Ign like it, then chances are its shit [doom3, just cause,bioshock etc]

However I have ordered a copy on the ps3 [hdmi] and should have it tommorow.

Re0sLess

Forum rank 5 out of 5
27 April 2008 19:55 Reply (Quote this message)
I've never played it myself but a mate is raving about it so I'll wait to see if he likes it and pick up a 360 copy on staurday if its anygood

Hellnolf

Forum rank 0 out of 5
28 April 2008 07:52 Reply (Quote this message)
Will probably get myself a 360 version to give it a shot, alot of people have been saying its going to be good.

ralinn

ninja?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
29 April 2008 13:13  Edited by ralinn on 29-Apr-08 at 13:16 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Stan
Hmm if Ign like it, then chances are its shit [doom3, just cause,bioshock etc]

However I have ordered a copy on the ps3 [hdmi] and should have it tommorow.

To be honest, I don't think it was just IGN that ****ed up with those reviews. I won't stick up for IGN though as I'm definitely not a fan of them. Most of their reviews have been quite hit 'n miss.

Take a look at this though...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/grandtheftauto4#critics

IGN
I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.

IGN UK
Expectations were so high for Grand Theft Auto IV that one of the biggest surprises is that it's managed to meet them. That it's also gone on to confound these is truly a marvel, and the game's Liberty City is nothing less than one of the greatest videogame worlds yet conceived.

1UP
None of these little flaws take away from Liberty City's breathtaking vistas, incredibly varied scenery, and lived-in look (the PS3 version has the slightest visual edge, plus motion-control support -- but then it's missing Achievements and the eventual downloadable episodes exclusive to the 360 game). The city just feels alive.

EuroGamer
Almost everything you do in Liberty City would be good enough to drive its own game, and the best parts would be good enough to outrun the competition, but the reason it works so well is that Rockstar has made a game that requires no patience to play. This, as much as its usual coherency and the best script in the series, is what makes GTA IV the best openworld game yet, and why it will take something miraculous to rob it of game of the year status.

GameSpy
The very nature of the American Dream is the central theme in Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto IV, a gaming masterpiece that is a picture-perfect snapshot of the underworld of today's big cities. This is not only the finest title of the generation thus far, it is one of the best games of all-time.

Official Xbox Magazine UK
It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]

Team Xbox
It's amazing that a sequel that keeps the core gameplay concepts of its prior incarnations can do so much to change itself into something new. Cabs are awesome, as is the cellphones capabilities. But perhaps the biggest innovation is the notion that you can create a game that's as valid a piece of art as any book or movie. Is this our "Citizen Kane" moment?

Game Informer
I now know how film critics felt after screening "The Godfather." It's been days since Grand Theft Auto IV's credits rolled, yet I can't seem to construct a coherent thought without my mind wandering off into a daydream about the game. I just want to drop everything in my life so I can play it again. Experience it again. Live it again...Grand Theft Auto IV doesn't just raise the bar for the storied franchise; it completely changes the landscape of gaming.

GameDaily
Grand Theft Auto IV lives up to its grand expectations by weaving a Hollywood-ready "American Dream" plotline with a finely-tuned game experience -- taking the tried-and-true GTA formula and plugging it into a living, breathing version of Liberty City.

GamePro
Considering the fact that it's been a target of political and media pundits who keep harping on the infamous "Hot Coffee" incident, it's understandable to think that Rockstar might tone down the adult themes in GTA IV. But thankfully, that didn't happen. This is a mature game, and a devilishly good one at that.

VideoGamer
We all knew GTA 4 would be a great game and sell millions of copies, but I didn't expect it to shame pretty much every other game I've played this generation.

Gamer.nl
GTA IV is the best action game ever. The game has beautiful details, nice situations, extrodinary gameplay, sharp humor and great graphics. There are certainly a few minor negatives about the game, but the positive points are just too much. We have one piece of advice: Buy!

Total Video Games
Smashing down the barriers between videogames and movies, GTA4 is what happens when flawless game design and ridiculously high production values collide.

GameSpot
A game that you simply have to play. The single-player game, which you can still play long after you complete the story, is the series' best by far, and the multiplayer features are good enough that you'll likely have no problem finding people to play with for many months to come.

G4 TV
The important thing is that after many years of frustrating missions, driving back home to save repeatedly, struggling with wonky physics, and dealing with farcical storylines, GTA IV has delivered a polished and almost fully renovated experience with a darker and more mature treatment of the subject matter.

360 Gamer Magazine UK
With so much to see and do that even months of play won?t cover it all and some of the tightest mechanics seen in a modern game, GTA IV is every bit as good as you could ask for it to be. You quite simply will not need another game this year.

IGN AU
Without a doubt, rest assured this is the best game yet for this generation. The only reason we've resisted giving it full marks is that in the same way GTA III?s template was blown out so much further in "Vice City" and "San Andreas," we're confident the next GTA on this generation will up the ante considerably.

Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]

GameTrailers
Grand Theft Auto IV is the sex, drugs, and rock and roll of video games. It's a little less brave and intimidating this time around, but it?s also the most refined and polished game in the franchise?s history. This kind of sheen is generally reserved for titles with a much smaller scope.

ActionTrip
You cannot fly a plane though. But with the amount of stuff you can actually do in this game, mentioning something like that would be like complaining about the frame color on a Picasso painting.

MEGamers
The cut scenes are where the game really shines for me. There is this...this intensity in the character?s expression. Characters are actually emoting and expressing. They bring out emotions in us.

Official Xbox Magazine
If it were up to us, we'd have included a few better missions, weapons, and cars earlier in the game - if only for a temporary taste. That would definitely improve the pacing (while leaving plenty of surprises for later), and it'd have ensured that ADD players don't stop early without seeing the brilliant content that's down the road. [June 2008, p.40]

Computer and Video Games
Coming back to our original conundrum, GTA IV has its flaws as a game, like the sometimes problematic auto-aim shooting or the massive difficulty jump when you get to the final ten missions. But as an all-round experience it's truly, hype aside, a standout experience of gaming in 2008.

Noteable reviews being:

IGN UK & US 10/10
Gamespot 10/10
Gametrailers 9.8

Still waiting for the Edge review myself.

Woof, I'm a clown!
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2008 14:16 Reply (Quote this message)
Been playing it all morning so far. I'm loving it. The level of detail is immense and the cars look stunning. So far I've been on a bowling date with a prostitute named Michelle and blow my cousin up in a fireball from a car crash. All in a days work

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2008 15:10 Reply (Quote this message)
Hahaha multiplayer owns. You can sit in a car with teammates and break the window then shoot out the side while someone drives.

Chubbsterinho

Forum rank 0 out of 5
29 April 2008 16:00 Reply (Quote this message)
Is this game the one? Like Goldeneye was for the n64! I'm trying to save money to go travelling, but this game is looking like its just to good to pass up, would have to steal a ps3 thingy too!

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2008 16:39 Reply (Quote this message)
It's so good so far chubs. So many moments have made me laugh. Like when I had to take my cousin to the stripbar and you can get a proper lapdance.. change the camera angles and everything. Then you walk outside and some guy has his hands down his trousers by the poledancers doing very wrong things in public lol.

Negotiator

Forum rank 3 out of 5
29 April 2008 17:02 Reply (Quote this message)
lol i did that midnight, then i shot the strippers also while waiting for a train, i pushed some guy onto the tracks as the train came and killed him rofl,

niko the awesome, i love him already and only played like 4 hours

ps3 name onenego add if u got ps3

Abstract

Forum rank 3 out of 5
29 April 2008 17:35 Reply (Quote this message)
My brother queued up outside ASDA for 45 mins at midnight this morning for his copy. I however hit the sack early for work this morning, so i got him to pop into gamestation for me this afternoon and trade in some of my old shit games for GTA. I traded in Halo 3, Lost Planet, Test Drive Unlimited, and Kane & Lynch; they gave me £33 or so for those lot, lol.

Still not been round his to pick my copy up yet. Doubt i'll get a chance to play it tonight with United playing an' all.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2008 18:12 Reply (Quote this message)
Ok abs one question mate, what the **** were you doing with a copy of kane and lynch, bad doesn't even come close to describing that piece of shit

Jammin

gameSlave Tart

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2008 22:31  Edited by Jammin on 29-Apr-08 at 22:31 Reply (Quote this message)
Played it for a few hours while my housemate was napping and i like it, although I dont like the realistic car handling

Bring Back shoutbox!
shagnastie

The thread resurrection kid

Forum rank 4 out of 5
29 April 2008 23:12 Reply (Quote this message)
ive heard GTA3 is better

The Legend in his own underpants - Sssshagnastie!!
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2008 23:25 Reply (Quote this message)
It's miles better than GTA3.. graphically, storyline and car handling. I like the more 'realistic' car handling. You can still do stupid jumps and stuff but also have better control over them all instead of smashing into everything. I'm 15% through the game and it's getting better all the time

Chubbsterinho

Forum rank 0 out of 5
30 April 2008 10:10 Reply (Quote this message)
Oh crap, i know i'm going to be getting rid of my old dusty PS2 and all the other crap i have for it. I hate you all, why couldn't you just say that it wasn't worth the fuss then i would have been ok! Now i've got to get a PS3!!

shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
30 April 2008 11:16 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Chubbsterinho
Oh crap, i know i'm going to be getting rid of my old dusty PS2 and all the other crap i have for it. I hate you all, why couldn't you just say that it wasn't worth the fuss then i would have been ok! Now i've got to get a PS3!!

get a new phone while your at it and u'll save £300. You knows it makes sense

Chubbsterinho

Forum rank 0 out of 5
30 April 2008 11:54 Reply (Quote this message)
get a new phone while your at it and u'll save £300. You knows it makes sense

Unfortunately i don't need a new phone any time soon, should of done this a while ago when i changed mine!

10/10 for trying to get money though, i'm guessing the link means i got referred by you!

shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
30 April 2008 11:57 Reply (Quote this message)
you knows it - But i was really just trying to save you some cash and let you keep your PS2 Honest!

ralinn

ninja?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
30 April 2008 13:35  Edited by ralinn on 30-Apr-08 at 13:37 Reply (Quote this message)
Enjoying it so far, though I've not got that far into it yet. I like the car handling myself and I've not had the oppotunity to blow shit up. Not played MP yet either, but will give it a go in a few days. I like to make my way through a reasonable amount of SP first.

Ok...

Guns, boobs, explosions, car chases, needless violence, prostitutes, fighting, toilet humour. I like it.

Woof, I'm a clown!
Page 1  2  3 
GTA4
Forum Home \ Gaming Chat - Other New Thread New Reply