Login
register search gameSlave

I want this LCD!!!
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
05 October 2007 19:12 Reply (Quote this message)
omfg at this thing

http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1541272R.php?seg=hm

includes a processor that upscales everything..

Extreme HDTM Widescreen Performance
The Silicon Optix Realta® HQV® "Hollywood Quality Video" powered by Teranex video processing chipset powers the Gateway XHD3000 with amazing 1600p HD video for optimal clarity, smoothness and accuracy with 16.7 million colors. The video processor performs one trillion operations per second for enhanced image quality and offers advanced capabilities, such as deinterlacing, film cadence detection, noise reduction, and detail enhancement for unparalleled image quality.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
shagnastie

The thread resurrection kid

Forum rank 4 out of 5
05 October 2007 19:22 Reply (Quote this message)
stan wont like it

The Legend in his own underpants - Sssshagnastie!!
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
05 October 2007 19:35 Reply (Quote this message)
I hate to break it to you, but all plasma's lcds upscale everything anyway or you would end up with a really small image in the middle of the screen, it just depends on the quality of the scaler built into it.
Not to mention I bet that thing is a piece of shit for watching video on, the reviews I have read of gateway screens have been very poor and even the best lcds you can get have great trouble rendering dark scenes.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
05 October 2007 20:06 Reply (Quote this message)
you require more research stanleh and are wrong, not for the 1st time I might add.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
05 October 2007 20:11  Edited by Stan on 05-Oct-07 at 20:46 Reply (Quote this message)
No one is right all the time, and as far as i am aware [not on about pc monitors here] but home cinema screens do scale everything to fit, thats why its pretty pointless to buy a cheapo dvd player that upscales as the chip on it will be so poor, but the higher end one will have a more dedicated higher performing scaling chip.
What am I wrong about ?
Just checked around, home cinema plasma/lcds having their own scaling [doesnt mean they are good at it, depends on the quality of the chip] and it seems I am right, Mork even agree's with me.
As for the black issues, I KNOW I am right, its common knowledge that lcds have major issues with dealing with dark scenes, sure they are getting better all the time but they still cannot match the best plasma's or crts thats just FACT.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
05 October 2007 22:13 Reply (Quote this message)

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
05 October 2007 22:31  Edited by Stan on 06-Oct-07 at 00:09 Reply (Quote this message)
I dunno if I would say I am wrong just based on a preview, also just cos its a high res doesnt mean it gives off a great picture, as the best pictures you can currently get are on a 720p plasma, although that may change when pioneer release their new range of 1080p screens.
Also I dunno why you said I was wrong, I said most gateway products have shit reviews not that one, thus I would be surprised if this screen is worth having. Maybe you can say I am wrong when a dozen reviews come out and say its a superb home cinema screen, but untill then I would hold off
Maybe if you just use it as a pc monitor that does the odd bit of video it would be awesome, but as a dedicated home cinema cinema I very much doubt it will compete with the best nm what res it runs at. As it is a 30 inch screen I assumed it was going to go up against home cinema stuff not pc monitors, but still they do say assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
06 October 2007 13:26 Reply (Quote this message)
Don't get me wrong lcds have their places, if you want under 37 inch's then you have to go lcd, if you have a wife and children who will watch the same channel all day then I recommend lcd as plasma might get screen burn.

However if you want a flatscreen with the best image possible and you watch alot of films like Seven and Batman Begins and Sin city, then I recommend a plasma because their blacks just cannot be beaten, well a panasonic or pioneer plasma anyway.
However 90 percent of lcds really are utter shite, the same as 80 percent of plasma's really are utter shite.

Just be careful of what you buy and make sure you read alot of reviews and buy a brand like samgsun, panasonic, or even Sony [for the lcd, as much as I hate it they do make a great lcd, well one model anyway]

Most important thing is not to use the factory default settings as they are a load of shite, designed to make you notice them in a shop full of screens.

If a screen seems to cheap to be true, then it is probably a piece of crap, oh and dont buy one from your local supermarket.

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
07 October 2007 16:28 Reply (Quote this message)
STAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
07 October 2007 17:08 Reply (Quote this message)
That an insult maz ?

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
07 October 2007 17:42  Edited by Maz on 07-Oct-07 at 17:42 Reply (Quote this message)
more like a fact =D

(nothing like stating the obvious "not an insult btw"

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
07 October 2007 20:08 Reply (Quote this message)
Fair enough mate, I can only say what I feel and what I think and what I know.

I ain't the type of guy to spout shit, or say something just to agree with some one.

I want this LCD!!!
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply