Login
register search gameSlave

Vista Annoyances
Page 1  2 
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
23 January 2007 20:54 Reply (Quote this message)
Techgage has a little article about some of the annoying things in windows vista that's worth a look.

Having used it myself, I'd agree. I won;t be upgrading very quickly after the launch in a few days.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
23 January 2007 22:09 Reply (Quote this message)
Aye I will have to go vista for dx10, but I have a funny feeling I will end up dual booting vista and xp because of all these annoyances on vista.

malis

Forum rank 4 out of 5
23 January 2007 22:34 Reply (Quote this message)
Bleh reading that has made me much less excited about Vista. Those are exactly the sort of issues I hate

gameSlave
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
23 January 2007 23:43 Reply (Quote this message)
It's very pretty but annoys the **** out of me

ralinn

ninja?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
23 January 2007 23:44  Edited by ralinn on 23-Jan-07 at 23:55 Reply (Quote this message)
Some good annoying points, but I can't help thinking that a lot of them are just insulting it for not being XP. TBH, buying an OS so early seems a little silly to me. If you expect it to be perfect, you're a muppet.

Woof, I'm a clown!
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
24 January 2007 00:03 Reply (Quote this message)
I used both Beta 2 and the last RTM beta, it loks greta but is really annoying at times, pisses me off the amount of questions it aks and thew how god damn slow it is at doing stuff like deleting loads of files.

ralinn

ninja?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
24 January 2007 13:49 Reply (Quote this message)
I used Beta 1, I'm hoping it changed a lot since then as 3/4 of my hardware wasn't supported

Mind you, it's shit companies like Creative some of us have to worry about. They can't even get their XP drivers right. ¬_¬

Woof, I'm a clown!
Scrappy

Uber sex0r?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
24 January 2007 17:44 Reply (Quote this message)
In reference to Stans post, I heard that it's not possible to dual boot with Vista. Can anyone confirm this?

hobgoblin

Forum rank 3 out of 5
24 January 2007 18:09 Reply (Quote this message)
the article seems to state that u can have multiple os installed scrappy

Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
24 January 2007 20:56 Reply (Quote this message)
We've got a technet subscription at work so decided to give beta1 a whirl and went through beta2/RTM... and I must admit it really grew on me. There are some niggles like Craigs comment about slow deleting of files although thank god you can disable those prompts whenever you do something that requires admin, was glad to get rid of those. Even though I've used it for months on my main work pc I'm still finding it far too much hassle trying to find things in Control Panel, there far too much in there and they've renamed the old stuff. It's a nice looking OS though, in a slightly geeky kinda way I like how you can now see the transfer speed and the Task Manager has more useful info on there.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
25 January 2007 12:31 Reply (Quote this message)
tbh at present I'm way less than impressed, it's pretty but offers very little over XP

Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
26 January 2007 09:01 Reply (Quote this message)
Another article here that some might find of interest.

http://www.wincustomize.com/articles.aspx?aid=142165&c=1

Pros:

* Stability. My experience with the RTM build is that it's just as stable as XP is. This is a nice contrast to using Windows several years ago where a restart at least once a week was required. I rarely restart my PC anymore and see crashes even less frequently
* Search Bar in the Start Menu. Despite my gripes about the overly complicated new Start Menu, the search bar acting as a hybrid search/run command has grown on me significantly. It's one of those things that seems dumb at first, but quickly becomes essential to your day-to-day use
* Improved Diagnostic Tools. I can now see why my hard disk is thrashing, and the event logs give me something that's actually useful. There's a lot of power hidden underneath the hood here.
* Integration of Live services. This mostly depends on how Microsoft handles this new distribution channel, but I think if they do what they did with XBox Live, they'll have a huge success on their hands that provides a good service to customers.

Cons:

* New Start Menu. Outside the new search bar functionality, I don't like the Start Menu redesign at all. I especially don't like the confusing way they handled shutdown/restart options. I anticipate many frantic phone calls from my parents in the future asking me how they turn their PC off. I'm also not too keen on the new way you navigate the programs list in the start menu. I liked the ever-expanding tree of menus to the right. Sure it looked ugly, but it was very functional.
* New Disk Defragmenter. This is just utter crap. It took a useful tool and dumbed it down to the point where it gives me nothing useful. I used to be able to use the defrag tool to give me an idea of where potential performance problems were coming from. Not anymore. Now I just have to press a button and let magic happen in the background, hoping that it fixes what's wrong.
* UAC. I turned it off shortly into writing this series. I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to answer a dozen confirmation messages to do simple system tasks. UAC could have been useful. It could have worked like the MacOS method where you authenticate once as the administrative user on the first system-critical task you were trying to perform, and for a certain amount of time, you remain authenticated and aren't prompted again. The way UAC is right now, less confident users will be too terrified to delete even a shortcut from their desktop after all the WARNINGS OF DOOM the OS tosses at them.
* Driver Support. It's still in poor shape, especially for gamers. This is partially the fault of both Microsoft and hardware vendors. Microsoft failed to provide a stable OS to code against until very late in the game, and evidently hardware manufacturers waited until the very last second even then to start putting serious effort into development.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
30 January 2007 11:43 Reply (Quote this message)
This made me laugh.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37291

The DRM alone is enough to make anyone sad, think I'm gonna get a mac.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
30 January 2007 13:08 Reply (Quote this message)
I read that DRM article and most of it is pretty shocking actually.

shagnastie

The thread resurrection kid

Forum rank 4 out of 5
17 June 2007 03:55 Reply (Quote this message)
my mates home build keeps crashing when we play C0H altho it seems to be fine with Bf2..

It keeps downloading an update driver or something, which always leads to the crash - anyone else havin problems?

Hes considering removing Vista and installin Xp now

The Legend in his own underpants - Sssshagnastie!!
shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
18 June 2007 18:23 Reply (Quote this message)
when his pc crashes its just a long beep* anyone ave any ideas

Re0sLess

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 June 2007 18:58 Reply (Quote this message)
how do you mean? more info, more info

shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
18 June 2007 21:03 Reply (Quote this message)
he's be playin c0h for instance and all of a sudden the whole screen freezes and there is a constant beep - no keys or mouse or keyboard work. and then he has to reboot, but to no error report - Just Freezes and Beeps

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 June 2007 21:25 Reply (Quote this message)
That's more or less certain to be a GFX issue

either driver or hardware, most likely driver

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
20 June 2007 00:42 Reply (Quote this message)
Installing vista is a massive pain in the ass!!! massive ffs!

Page 1  2 
Vista Annoyances
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply