Login
register search gameSlave

Orange Box comments?
Page 1  2  3 
Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
12 October 2007 12:50 Reply (Quote this message)
Don't seem to be many comments on HL2 Ep2 or Portal on the forum so thought I'd start a post. Think enough has been said about TF2, great game - still needs some class balance tweaks but anyway.

Half-life2 Ep2, not got all that far yet but spent over an hour on it and it seems pretty good. Very polished and more of the same gameplay that has made HL2 popular. There is still something about it that makes me get bored after a while so don't play long stints. All the physics-engine related tasks are cool, and it looks great. Not so sure about the story line any more though.

Portal - well I expected this to be a quirky but fun game.. and got more than I expected. I completed portal a few nights ago and found it to be a great 'bonus' game. Challenging but not too frustrating and quite a good humor throughout the game. The extra play time offer by the BONUS challenges is also good.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
12 October 2007 13:01 Reply (Quote this message)
Review of EP2 coming, I loved it but it is short, about 5 1/2 hours.

I loved it that much I even thought about giving it a 10, but it's too short for that.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Spitfire

Forum rank 3 out of 5
12 October 2007 13:28 Reply (Quote this message)
That is good news Mani , I didn't get EP1 & so the combo should make for a great experience - Yeee Haa

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
12 October 2007 14:54 Reply (Quote this message)
I guess it depends how much play time you get out of Portal and TF2, I'll probably spend a couple of hours playing portal and say around 6 hours for Ep2. Then most people seem to like TF2 so theres at least a few hours there even if someone only had a passing interest in it. So at a push 10+hrs playtime for a £27 game? (play.com, or alternatively whatever it works out at from Steam)

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
12 October 2007 15:50 Reply (Quote this message)
I'm loving TF2 at the moment and I still think the bundle is worth it for this alone, I've read some really good things on Portal but not given it a fair go yet to comment on it, although from what I have played I liked it. The main thing for me though was getting this for TF2 and for that I can say i'm impressed, it's more of the same manic gameplay from TFC but now with the stunning graphics and quirky animations. The voiceovers in it are class too, all in all I can say it was well worth the wait - now all I want is some more maps which i'm sure will follow soon and i'll be a happy chappy.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
14 October 2007 04:32 Reply (Quote this message)
Wow just finished episode 2, and it is quite possibly the best game I have ever played, the more you play the better it gets, just ****ing superb in every single sense. Yes it is short at only 5-6 hours, but of those hours they are the best 6 hours I have had in even some 20 hour games. I have started replaying it already with the commentry feature on.

Tf2 is great fun altho I cant see why it took 10 years to make as it does nothing new what so ever, having said that it does what it does very well indeed and is far more polished than the likes of games like 2142 that still feel like a beta in so many ways.
Portal is fun but nothing to compaire on the likes of Episode two and tf2, I would not buy it, but when you consider I would pay 25 quid for EITHER TF2 or EP2.
Is me it or have they amped up the damage your weapons do in Ep2, I love the new high res skins though.

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
14 October 2007 12:57  Edited by Maz on 14-Oct-07 at 12:58 Reply (Quote this message)
I've only played ~1/2 of episode 2 sofar, but i have to agree with stan it gets better as you go on.

Portal i have to say, that even though i wouldent buy it, i really do like it. mainly because its thought provoking, and the advanced and challenge levels are even more so.

TF2, is better played with freinds, since playing solo it annoy's me.

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Abstract

Forum rank 3 out of 5
14 October 2007 15:07 Reply (Quote this message)
An amazing package, all those games for the price of one, done deal! I remember i paid £20-30 for Half-Life 2 and Episode One each alone when they first came out. The 'gift' option on steam is quite good aswell if you've already got the said games so they don't go to waste; i'll probably gift my extra copies to my brother.

Finished Episode Two earlier today, and it is quite simply brilliant, quite possibly better then Episode One and the original Half-Life 2. Gonna go back through all three games again soon. I've noticed they've added an 'ahievements' section like the 360 games which i don't think they had in the earlier games; another reason to go back through the game again if you missed some achievements.

Portal's a good little game for a few hours too.

As for TF2, as has already been said, better with friends having a laugh i think.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
14 October 2007 15:15 Reply (Quote this message)
I still have a laugh playing TF2 without anyone I know. People are always on comms and i've added a few people to friends because of it. The Team Fortress community was always a million times better than the CS one in maturity levels and so far it's still been the same in TF2 as well.

malis

Forum rank 4 out of 5
14 October 2007 21:34 Reply (Quote this message)
TF2 is utterly superb, as Mid said the community is superb - it's the only game I've ever used ingame comms to chat to strangers with.

portal I've not tried yet, but will do soon

Ep2? I just do_not_get HL2, utterly boring story and I found this no improvement - fun in places but there are far more exciting and engrossing shooters around.

gameSlave
Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
18 October 2007 12:24 Reply (Quote this message)

cragtek

Forum rank 2 out of 5
18 October 2007 16:29 Reply (Quote this message)
Glad to hear Ep 2 is good. I was worried it might be 'filler' between ep 1 and 3. I've had it sat on my hard drive for days but haven't had the time to play it yet. I managed to fit portal in and loved it! Brilliantly clever and funny to boot. I hope they make another.

Right, going to boot up Ep 2!!

shagnastie

The thread resurrection kid

Forum rank 4 out of 5
19 October 2007 14:01 Reply (Quote this message)
ive just read teh back of one teh box - do you think this will work ok my Laptop?? Specs dont seem that high - DX8 and 512 ram

The Legend in his own underpants - Sssshagnastie!!
Re0sLess

Forum rank 5 out of 5
19 October 2007 15:43 Reply (Quote this message)
Do you have HL2 you can try first?

shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
20 October 2007 00:43 Reply (Quote this message)
nope

I wanna try it sooo bad aswell - One of my doorstaff here is lovin it and wont stop goin on about it

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
20 October 2007 00:45  Edited by Stan on 20-Oct-07 at 00:48 Reply (Quote this message)
Pop on irc shag and I will give you a key to hl2 and episode 1 if you want it.

Although it will run like turd in dx8

Get a decent pc you shit bastard, or even better save wasting a cd key that wont work on your pc, download a demo ?

half life 2 demo

shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
20 October 2007 01:29 Reply (Quote this message)
good thinkin Stano - Ill Dl a demo soon as I get the free time

As for PC - I just aint got the funds right now, but I want to get round to it in the New Year, theres no point me building one right now when Xmas is right around the corner and i Just wont get the time to play

malis

Forum rank 4 out of 5
23 October 2007 22:55 Reply (Quote this message)
Just played and finished portal today - utterly superb!

What a fantastic way of doing a puzzle game, I actually wanted to know more about the story behind the facility - and who was the person leavign all the clues?
Also, the ending was simply brilliant.

I hope they release a sequel...

gameSlave
shagnastie

Forum rank 4 out of 5
24 October 2007 13:19 Reply (Quote this message)
I've Installed Steam onto my Laptop along with HL2 - A chap I work with gave it me to try but as he has already registered it, I cant play it

He's just brought the Orange Box set so will gift me the games I don't yet have = Happy days hopefully

Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
05 November 2007 22:09 Reply (Quote this message)

Page 1  2  3 
Orange Box comments?
Forum Home \ Gaming Chat - Shooters New Thread New Reply