Login
register search gameSlave

Half-Life 2: Buy or Steam?
KendoMonkey

munkeh

Forum rank 3 out of 5
24 September 2004 15:07 Reply (Quote this message)
Persuade me either way, should I buy it from a store or get it over Steam?

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
24 September 2004 15:09 Reply (Quote this message)
Depends on wether you want it fast, or you want an actual physical disk with manual etc.

Price will maybe come into it too?

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
KendoMonkey

munkeh

Forum rank 3 out of 5
24 September 2004 15:38 Reply (Quote this message)
I guess I just want it. Chances of me being able to play it "pronto" are probably fairly slim...but shit happens. It also depends how much earlier Steam users are going to get it. If we're talking 0 days then it don't matter. Anything more than that though, I'd feel jealous if others were playing it and I wasn't.

I'm not too fussed for disk and manual. I only drop those on the floor anyway.

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
24 September 2004 20:10 Reply (Quote this message)
for me price " i.e. ill go for the cheapest "

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
24 September 2004 21:49 Reply (Quote this message)
Depends how much cheaper it is i guess, cba to download and burn it etc if i can just order it on cd

Felon

Forum rank 5 out of 5
24 September 2004 22:06 Reply (Quote this message)
Ill wait until its in the bargain bucket now as a matter of principle.

I hope you are all aware this game will be shite after all the build up, just look at Doom 3

Atari 2600 1978-81 -|- ZX81 Spectrum 1982-84 -|- Commodore 64 1984-87 -|- Amiga 500 1988-91 -|- Sega Mega Drive 1992-94 -|- Atari Jaguar 1994-95 -|- Sony PS1/2 1995-04 -|- MS Xbox 2003-06 -|- Flawless 360 01/12/06 and counting.. 28 years gaming, man im old
morkith

mia

Forum rank 3 out of 5
24 September 2004 23:17 Reply (Quote this message)
Ive known hl2 will be shite for a long time.

I expect all games to be utter shite, and that opinion has no chance of changing until Ive played it.

KendoMonkey

munkeh

Forum rank 3 out of 5
27 September 2004 14:27  Edited by KendoMonkey on 27-Sep-04 at 14:28 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: morkith
Ive known hl2 will be shite for a long time.

I expect all games to be utter shite, and that opinion has no chance of changing until Ive played it.

Wouldn't it be saner to have a neutral attitude towards a game so as not to anger the fan-boys?

I still haven't decided whether to Steam or Shop. I'll probably go for Shop because it's looking like the £££ will be no different either way.

morkith

mia

Forum rank 3 out of 5
27 September 2004 14:50  Edited by morkith on 27-Sep-04 at 14:58 Reply (Quote this message)
I dont give two ****s about hl fanboys, or any other kind of fanboy.

Fanboys exist to be mocked.

I will let Half Life 2 tell its own story when its finally brave enough to walk amoungst us.

KendoMonkey

munkeh

Forum rank 3 out of 5
27 September 2004 16:50  Edited by KendoMonkey on 27-Sep-04 at 16:51 Reply (Quote this message)
I dont give two ****s about hl fanboys, or any other kind of fanboy.

Fanboys exist to be mocked.

I will let Half Life 2 tell its own story when its finally brave enough to walk amoungst us.

But to me it does seem like fan-boyism when you hold such a strong negative view about a game which you seem to agree you cannot have a reasonable opinion about, until you've played it. Explain it to me...like I'm a child.

morkith

mia

Forum rank 3 out of 5
27 September 2004 17:14  Edited by morkith on 27-Sep-04 at 17:26 Reply (Quote this message)
Well lots of people are positive about how good hl2 is going to be.

I choose to have the opposite opinion, I gave up having a positive approach to upcoming games a number of years ago.

22 years of gaming, and ive seen nothing to suggest having a negative view of an upcoming game is any worse than having a positive one. Quite the reverse in fact, when you aint expecting much from a game, you find it easier to forgive its little disappointments. As long as on the whole the entire game itself isnt a disappointment.

I find that the people that constantly go on about how good a game is going to be, are the first ones to moan when reality bites.

Although rather than commenting on Half Life 2, maybe I should have created a "Whats your favorite make of Ice Cream" or some other shite.

O and I wouldnt have a "strong negative view" about any computer games, i'll leave that to the people who have nothing more important to be interested in.

Anyway moan away, it will save me having to respond on other even less interesting threads.

I can assure you if I ever have a neutral stance on anything I wont waste my time posting about it.

I look forward to many a postive post regarding Half Life 2 when weve all played it.

Just like I looked forward to all those Positive posts about Doom 3.

Reasonble opinion? Who said my opinion was reasonable? I can asure you in future all "Reasonable" opinions will be posted in "Green" text.

KendoMonkey

munkeh

Forum rank 3 out of 5
27 September 2004 17:40 Reply (Quote this message)

Quite the reverse in fact, when you aint expecting much from a game, you find it easier to forgive its little disappointments. As long as on the whole the entire game itself isnt a disappointment.

I used to be this way. And I don't mean "used to" as a "I grew out of it" kind of patronising way, I just mean that I'm not as cynical anymore. Well, not quite as cynical. I do still subscribe to the "The more optimistic you are, the further you have to fall." theory.

Reasonble opinion? Who said my opinion was reasonable? I can asure you in future all "Reasonable" opinions will be posted in "Green" text.

He-heh. I look forward to those

KendoMonkey

munkeh

Forum rank 3 out of 5
29 September 2004 11:21 Reply (Quote this message)
Seems the best way to get HL1:Source and DOD:Source is to buy the Silver package through Steam, as explained here HL2, CS:Source release notes.

Has anyone seen the Collector's Edition around the UK? I certainly haven't. Defo ain't seen it for online ordering.

Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
29 September 2004 11:39 Reply (Quote this message)
I'm more interesting in DoD:S than CS:S so silver sounds good

Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
29 September 2004 11:44  Edited by morkith on 29-Sep-04 at 13:44 Reply (Quote this message)
I choose to have the opposite opinion, I gave up having a positive approach to upcoming games a number of years ago.

Sometimes its hard not to be excited and have high hopes for a sequel to your favourite game or whatever. For most games I dont see the point in being negative unless there is reason to be, I just try and be neutral until I get to try the game, or get feedback from people i know.

morkith

mia

Forum rank 3 out of 5
29 September 2004 13:44 Reply (Quote this message)
Rather than overtyping what Jimbo wrote, ill actually post my own message doh!

Yes I will also be giving DOD Source a look.

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 September 2004 17:34 Reply (Quote this message)
Meh i want the game but only cos of all the hype
+ the fact that my best mate who has a pc that can't play Pacman let alone anything else!
+ the fact i feel like it
+ its another way to annoy my pearents

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Half-Life 2: Buy or Steam?
Forum Home \ General Chat New Thread New Reply