Login
register search gameSlave

FireFox
Tricky

Forum rank 4 out of 5
17 June 2004 14:50  Edited by Jimbo on 24-Jun-04 at 13:00 Reply (Quote this message)
I figured we might as well start a resource for Firefox users, since we have quite a few people that realise Firefix kicks IE ass

So rather than debating Firefox too much this thread is a resource so just links to extensions, themes and related content please. I'm going to start off by listing a few themes and extentions I recommend, themes are quite a personal thing and I found most skins to be rubbish. My preference is for clean designs that are quite minimal so if you like your themes loud I would skip my recommendations

Recommended Themes
Tip 1: To install themes that are just links to jar files simply download them to a temporary location and then in Firefox open the Themes manager then just drag/drop the jar file into it.
Tip 2: I personally recommend using the small icons on the toolbar, to do this just right click on the toolbar and select customise. Then when the panel appears check the box labeled 'Use Small Icons'. You'll see the change straight away, click done if you prefer it. Now, on to the themes.

QuteRetro - Basically the 0.8 default theme, tidy simple icons.
Orbit Series - Through Mozilla, Opera and now Firefox Ive always liked the various Orbit skins. Whether you prefer a dull (less distracting) skill or something bold, there is most likely a version to your taste.
More to skins to come.

Extensions
Google Bar - This is basically a port of the IE google bar. Personally I think it's way too big and takes over but one thing I do like is in the options - select to use the context sensitive menu addon and then remove the google toolbar. That way you gain some of the features but without the clutter.
Undo Close Tab - This extension allows you to right click on the tabs and bring back tags you closed. I find this invaluable on those occations when you close a tab by accident and grown at the thought of getting back to the page you were on.
Add Bookmark Here - Coming from Opera I missed this feature but using this you can bring it back. This extension gives an extra option on your bookmarks menu (and submenus) that allows you to save your current page to the current sub menu. I find it more convenient than the 'add bookmark' option then finding the folder you want to put it in.
Tabbrowser Preferences - Various useful tab options which I mostly use to make links that would open a new window, open in a tab instead.

Resources
extensionsmirror.nl - List of Firebox 0.9 compatible extensions
update.mozilla.org - The offical theme site, not many themes yet but a few good ones. Charamel and FireboxModern aint bad. The Orbit series are sorta my old favs as well, well worth checking out.
update.mozilla.org - Quite a few extensions to look through here.
More to come as I found cool things to pass on
mozthemes.tk - A couple of okay themes, Smoke is quite nice though I dont like the rounded ends on the url bar really.

Related Articles
mozilla.org - Firefox 1.0 Roadmap new
arstechnica.com - Lengthy interview Scott Collins from Mozilla.org new
channels.lockergnome.com - Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer new
neowin.net - 0.9 update tips and discussion
neowin.net - Interview with Ben Goodger from the Mozilla
madpenguin.org - A look at whats new in 0.9, more focused on Linux than Windows

nidelven-it.no - A nice introduce to Firebird for new users (based on 0.7)
mozilla.org - Why you should try Firefox, from the horses mouth.

More to come as I found cool things to pass on

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
17 June 2004 14:56 Reply (Quote this message)
Applollo from mozthemes.tk is my fav, based on the excellent gant icon sets which I use on my PC here at work, and at home.

It's nice to have a matching browser toolbar and start menu.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
malis

Forum rank 4 out of 5
17 June 2004 23:41 Reply (Quote this message)
i use the skin thats based on the mozilla 1.x series default skin; the tidy blue/metallic one.

PS: omg at the effort to open up the forums page and post! i only post in the news area. This is madness!

gameSlave
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
17 June 2004 23:44 Reply (Quote this message)
lol u lazy cs mong

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
malis

Forum rank 4 out of 5
18 June 2004 11:52 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Mani
lol u lazy cs mong

gameSlave
FireFox
Forum Home \ General Chat New Thread New Reply