Login
register search gameSlave

PC gaming RIP?
Page 1  2 
Felon

Forum rank 5 out of 5
14 October 2009 22:51 Reply (Quote this message)
*Thought id put this in general chat as generally it affects all PC gamers.

I go into any local GAME or Gamestation& shop and they dedicate maybe 5-10% of their shop space to PC games. Also I look at all the major game developers and most the game are pushed towards console gamers. NowI know most the last lads on here are tbh PC gamers but never in my 15 years PC gaming have I seen such a lack of games coming out soley for the PC, its like games are created for consoles nowadays and then they throw in a PC port. Maybe Half Life 2 was the last decent PC game and BF2 the last decent online game? Is it now that PC gaming is finaly dead?

Im talking moslt shit I know, but I was looking for a game called Aion for Nath and most the shops have never heard of it, how long before PC ports are non existent?

*Wine may make posters viesw sound like shit* :c)

Atari 2600 1978-81 -|- ZX81 Spectrum 1982-84 -|- Commodore 64 1984-87 -|- Amiga 500 1988-91 -|- Sega Mega Drive 1992-94 -|- Atari Jaguar 1994-95 -|- Sony PS1/2 1995-04 -|- MS Xbox 2003-06 -|- Flawless 360 01/12/06 and counting.. 28 years gaming, man im old
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 08:16 Reply (Quote this message)
PC games are mostly bought on-line these days, it's not dead or dying, just changing a LOT.

And yes, most developers don't make PC exclusives any more, Piracy has killed that off.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 08:57 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Mani
Piracy has killed that off.

Apart from MMO's that require active subscriptions of course

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 11:18 Reply (Quote this message)
You can get Aion everywhere here, but it is selling pretty well apparantly so .. You can buy it off steam for only £5 more than most retail shops if you can't wait that long for stock to reappear - the same with the aion website, you can download it there.

Companies producing pc games need to learn that console and pc gamers are two different markets in most cases. That can't be more true with FPS games, the more console ports that we get like that, the more that PC gaming is dying off. Operation Flashpoint 2 could have and should have been amazing, they just chose to go the easy casual gaming console route and completely ruin it.

Casual gaming is a huge market and must be an easy option to produce for because most of those gamers will not care too much if the game sucks. Consoles also have it easier in the fact that if a game is crap you can just take it back to Game and get a part exchange for another game, try doing that with a PC game and you'll come unstuck - no places trade in used pc games just because of the copying and CD key factors.

There are really only 2 games companies that I would trust to produce quality PC games every time and those are Valve and Blizzard. Say what you want about WoW but it's extremely polished, not to mention they have the diablo and starcraft series - plus their new MMO they are starting production on now. Valve have never produced a bad game, Left 4 Dead may have lacked new maps after release but it was and still is a quality FPS game.

Mani is right that MMO's are the only sure fire way to produce games that don't get pirated. I would happily pay £5 a month to play an awesome FPS game that is constantly updated and added to though. I'd rather have done that than wasted the money on Operation Flashpoint 2, but then again Codemasters are retarded and released it without CD Keys or anti-cheat so if you go and torrent OFP2 and play it online for free (which you can do) then maybe they'll learn some lessons about the PC market.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 11:27 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Midnight

I would happily pay £5 a month to play an awesome FPS game that is constantly updated and added to though.

As would I, if DiCe made Battlefield 3 cheap with a few months included and a few quid a month to keep your account active they'd make a packet (as long as the game is good)

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 11:30 Reply (Quote this message)
I know quite a few people that would pay for an FPS game like that, I need to get my MMO FPS off the ground and made !

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 11:49 Reply (Quote this message)
What about the remake of Planetside that's coming, did that charge subscriptions?

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:02 Reply (Quote this message)
There's a remake of it ? I know that it's free to play now up to a certain point at which you have to pay the subscription again. I didn't know there was a new one coming out ?

My idea was kind of like planetside but set in modern combat and with a fair few tweaks to squad play and "clan" play. We've been discussing it on vent for a week or so now

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:07 Reply (Quote this message)
Get it pitched to EA

And yes, there is a new/updated version of Planetside in production.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:13 Reply (Quote this message)
Is it that Chinese company that bought out the PS engine to remake their own game ? It looks just like PS with new textures.

Here's a video clicky

Planetside gameplay was truely amazing when it came out but the engine nowadays will be so dated and the netcode nothing like what they could make. They should use a modified Crysis engine like Aion has done, that game runs beautifully and looks great too.

Bri

Scottish Tart

Forum rank 2 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:16 Reply (Quote this message)
Although its only coming out on consoles, i quite like the look of Dust514 (the EVE online spin-off mmofps.)

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:22 Reply (Quote this message)
Nah, possibly called Planetside Next??

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=103072

To me, Planetside Next means we get a chance to take the essence of everything that was fun in Planetside and make it a lot better. Massive battles on a scale no other FPS will touch. None of this 64 player stuff. REALLY MASSIVE. With much better organization, and a tight focus on making sure the action is always going on, with awesome graphics.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:24 Reply (Quote this message)
If they actually make planetside 2 with better graphics I will be stuck on that for life. That game was one of the best FPS experiences ever, with thousands of people in huge scale battles.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 12:33 Reply (Quote this message)
I would like a modern day combat version though rather than future robots etc, something like a cross between the battlefield franchise and Arma 2. So, good combat without the bunny hopping or grenade spamming but with good vehicle combat and holding and capturing points on a huge island with the animations from Arma 2. Even if it was just 200 versus 200 or something like that, it'd be pretty awesome.

Felon

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 20:52 Reply (Quote this message)
If a game like that was created id build another PC to play it but as it is nothing grabs me. Grant no no for downloading it, would take several days and meanwhile we cant browse net.

Atari 2600 1978-81 -|- ZX81 Spectrum 1982-84 -|- Commodore 64 1984-87 -|- Amiga 500 1988-91 -|- Sega Mega Drive 1992-94 -|- Atari Jaguar 1994-95 -|- Sony PS1/2 1995-04 -|- MS Xbox 2003-06 -|- Flawless 360 01/12/06 and counting.. 28 years gaming, man im old
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
15 October 2009 21:06 Reply (Quote this message)
It won't take several days, I have the same speeds as you and it would take 8 hrs, do it overnight

Bandit

Mr Writer

Forum rank 3 out of 5
16 October 2009 09:27 Reply (Quote this message)
If the game features a single player campaign I'll write the plot for you Midnight, I'm good with stories

"You want to make enemies? Try to change something."
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
16 October 2009 09:38 Reply (Quote this message)
Hehe thanks but there's no single player element. Imo a pc game needs good multiplayer to keep it alive after launch. It needs clan support, support for community building, ongoing support through patches and new levels and items etc, and a modding community too. Singleplayers ok for 5 minutes but all the games that support multiplayer well are the ones that live on years after release. That's also why Valve are the king of fps games so far.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
16 October 2009 09:57 Reply (Quote this message)
Valve are king of the FPS through nothing but a bit of foresight and a lot of luck, they didn't write CS and only copied Team Fortress to their engine. Having an easily modifiable engine is the only great thing they did to begin with.

Bandit

Mr Writer

Forum rank 3 out of 5
16 October 2009 10:21 Reply (Quote this message)
I love a good singleplayer campaign, but many developers couldn't spot a good plot if it hit them in the face with a shoulder-launced missile.

"You want to make enemies? Try to change something."
Page 1  2 
PC gaming RIP?
Forum Home \ General Chat New Thread New Reply