Login
register search gameSlave

In the market for a new phone ?
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 March 2009 12:20 Reply (Quote this message)
My contract is up in the next few months so I've been looking at phones to replace my trusty N95 as I've had that for a couple of years now.

Schumi pointed me in the direction of the new "Palm Pre" which is coming out sometime in the next few months (according to a few websites) I hadn't actually heard of it before he mentioned it but I have to say I'm impressed. It has a beautiful UI and everything seems to flow nicely with no clutter on the screen. It's a touchscreen device but with a slide out qwerty keyboard too. They seem to have a LOT of new ideas and very cool features.

If you're interested there's a fairly long but detailed video here

I can't wait to get my hands on one

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 March 2009 14:14 Reply (Quote this message)
I'll check that out later but I'll be sticking with my 2 year old N95 for a little while longer Then probably get an iPhone I think

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 March 2009 14:39 Reply (Quote this message)
Trust me, this is the iphone on steroids. The iphone while nice has a lot missing. You can't copy and paste between apps, yuo can't run more than one app at once (it closed or dc's you from msn etc when you open another) Watch this video and I'm sure you'll think twice about the Iphone.

Jammin

gameSlave Tart

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 March 2009 21:48 Reply (Quote this message)
Whats wrong with the google phone?

Bring Back shoutbox!
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 March 2009 22:26 Reply (Quote this message)
Not greatly made, the UI on the google one is supposed to be pretty good (if a little patchwork, things aren't the same theme from menu to menu so it looks a bit odd) but the phone itself is meant to feel cheap and poorly built. Not surprising really as google are focusing more on Android and licencing it out to other manufacturers.

The Palm Pre looks the best phone i've seen in a while, especially the thought they've put into the UI in making it as seemless as possible, making it work more like a desktop pc where people are used to multitasking a lot.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 March 2009 22:34 Reply (Quote this message)
Also the Palm Pre has this - charger possibly the best thing ever lol

lowiththeflow

Forum rank 0 out of 5
16 March 2009 14:27  Edited by lowiththeflow on 24-Mar-09 at 20:39 Reply (Quote this message)
My partner has the new GOOGLE PHONE and he absolutely loves it. It really is very clever and there are a lot of cool applications you can download for it. I just got the new blackberry Curve which I use for business and it's really really useful.. it's great!!

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friend's nose."
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
17 March 2009 11:11 Reply (Quote this message)
Which google phone does he have? There's a few now I think

lowiththeflow

Forum rank 0 out of 5
18 March 2009 11:34  Edited by lowiththeflow on 23-Mar-09 at 14:57 Reply (Quote this message)
I know he's got a G1.. it's black and I think there is a white version too. It's a really fun phone!!

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friend's nose."
Scrappy

Uber sex0r?

Forum rank 4 out of 5
18 March 2009 23:48 Reply (Quote this message)
I'm waiting for the Palm Pre to come out. I don't want an iPhone mostly because the only carrier I can get one on has shit 3G coverage in my area. Also the Palms looking to be a sweet phone. It was rumored to be out yesterday but no signs of it. Other rumor I've read is June.

My brother recently got the same phone as Stan just got (maybe he can tell us about it). But the stupid sod just spent 400quid on a HTC Touch HD. Supposed to have the highest res screen on the market. I'd look at reviews of it though, as it's a lot of money to shell out on a phone!

1_Ru13

Forum rank 3 out of 5
23 April 2009 16:39 Reply (Quote this message)

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
24 April 2009 20:47  Edited by Stan on 24-Apr-09 at 20:47 Reply (Quote this message)
I love my nokia 5800, the screen is fantastic to use and its sound quality is the best I have heard on a phone by quite a way. However if you want to use the net on it then I would suggest another phone as its quite cumbersome and laggy to use, certainly no Iphone.

Otherwise this is the best phone I have ever owned and is a joy to text on with its full qwerty keyboard, not to mention it has nice big numbers when dialling so my mum can use it.

Sorry about the late reply but health is pretty bad atm.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
26 April 2009 15:36 Reply (Quote this message)
I just got the HTC Touch HD. There's just way too many rumours and no release date for the Pre and while there's no doubt it'll be a nice phone I just couldn't be bothered to wait. My cousin came up and he had the Touch HD and I spent a week using it and it's been really nice so far. The screen is bigger than the Iphones and produces better colours but the actual phone is the same size. With it being windows mobile there's plenty of apps to use too.

Entering text on a purely touchscreen phone was my main concern but the Touch HD has about 6 different input methods and different variations of qwerty keyboards, but I keep it on the phone touchpad with T9 enabled as that's what I'm used to. Web browsing is great too with Opera mobile installed. Almost as good as on the iphone but not quite (there's no multitouch for zooming - although you can use a zoom slider which is 'nearly' as good.)

Microsoft are also releasing their version of the app store sometime soonish so that'll be cool too. I can always get the pre or whatever handset Webos is running on next year when my contract expires again - that's if I actually want to replace this phone though as i'm loving it so far.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 April 2009 22:37 Reply (Quote this message)
Anyone that uses their phone a lot for storing data such as pictures and videos, lots of contacts and custom ringtones etc should check out Dashwire btw. It's awesome, backs up all your stuff to the site. Lets you send selected pics straight to facebook with messages, or twitter etc. All your text messages are stored there in conversations like in gmail for easy backing up.

And it's FREE ! I'm using it and loving it.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
30 April 2009 08:30 Reply (Quote this message)
Hardly ever use my phone at the minute. Since the little boy was born there's no time for anything.

pollyanna03

Forum rank 0 out of 5
04 August 2009 10:20  Edited by pollyanna03 on 04-Aug-09 at 10:28 Reply (Quote this message)
[url "http://www.mycollects.com/index.htm"]my collects">

In the market for a new phone ?
Forum Home \ General Chat New Thread New Reply