Login
register search gameSlave

PS3 motion stuff
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
03 June 2009 12:43 Reply (Quote this message)
This looks pretty sweet for the PS3. Maybe not as cool as the Natal, and the first few minutes aren't that impressive if you've played a Wii but if you watch it to the end you can see how precise it is. I love the bow

linky

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
03 June 2009 12:55 Reply (Quote this message)
watched it this morning aye, it looks much more precise than the shitty Wii tbh but then that's not suprising

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
03 June 2009 13:16 Reply (Quote this message)
That and it'll work with HD graphics in games rather than the wii's. I still want a Natal over it though.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
03 June 2009 13:37 Reply (Quote this message)
I sorta suspect that the Natal is not much more than a PlayStation Eye but with more advanced software, the PS3 one has extra controllers that appear to have two motion censors in each. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the PS3 will make better use of this tech in games because of that.

Negotiator

Forum rank 3 out of 5
03 June 2009 14:47 Reply (Quote this message)
i think the sony motion controllers are far better idea than MS natal. natal has more of a wow factor but when it comes to gaming, id rather have the sony controllers anyday. sony's has better response.

just thinking how cool it would be to play zelda with them sony pads instead of the wii, id love to play a boxing game with that response.

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
03 June 2009 18:35  Edited by Maz on 03-Jun-09 at 18:51 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Mani
I sorta suspect that the Natal is not much more than a PlayStation Eye but with more advanced software, the PS3 one has extra controllers that appear to have two motion censors in each. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the PS3 will make better use of this tech in games because of that.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/project-natal-video-hands-on-impressions-and-further-details/

Theres a bit of a review and some footage of them moving about (doesnt show the tech) but the comments are impressive

It uses an IR and Visual camera to track movements using key joints on the human body, and it sounds amazingly accurate to say its still in development.

We were shown an example of the raw output of the system, which melds the two sources and then breaks them down into a wireframe of objects, a heatmap (for depth), and a point-map (which is akin to one of those hand imprint needle toys). The software merges all of this together to create a picture of movement in the room, allowing for some pretty crazy detail of what is going on. We watched a chair being dragged into the middle of the playing field, and the software was able to continue to track the human movement, as well as that person sitting down -- it didn't break a sweat. The accuracy is far better than you would imagine it could be;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/e3-2009/5437978/E3-2009-Project-Natal-hands-on-preview.html

I like the ps3 one for sure, but if Natal is as good as it sounds, i can't see there being any competition. i mean if you lack the feel, just hold a tv remote or something and pretend its a controler

I think the camera is something like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-of-flight_camera

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
03 June 2009 19:09 Reply (Quote this message)
I was just reading what Maz posted too. There's nothing to stop you holding a 360 controller and using your body movement with the natal and with them able to patch in natal stuff with older games (like in that video) it's by far the most impressive of the input devices for me. What with facial recognition, voice recognition and motion tracking all in one bundle.

Negotiator

Forum rank 3 out of 5
03 June 2009 23:42 Reply (Quote this message)
yea but how do u run with no contorller? running on the spot would get old very fast

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
04 June 2009 00:02 Reply (Quote this message)
No idea, i assume you'd do something to simulate running - like moving your arms?
or maybe they intend to make it a keep fit thing too, just think, all those fat friggin yanks loosing weight running on the livingroom carpet!

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Bandit

Mr Writer

Forum rank 3 out of 5
04 June 2009 08:59 Reply (Quote this message)
If it works it'll be a lot of fun i'm sure- if it works.

Not my cup of tea tbh. After a hard day at work I don't want to waver my arms around to play a game, I prefer a static control in my two hands.

"You want to make enemies? Try to change something."
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
04 June 2009 11:21 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Negotiator
yea but how do u run with no contorller? running on the spot would get old very fast

like I said. you could use a normal controller. The motion stuff could be for things like throwing a grenade by throwing with your arm while still shooting, or ducking. Voice and face recogniton too. You dont HAVE to think of it as just jumping around

D3CYPH3R

Forum rank 3 out of 5
04 June 2009 14:01 Reply (Quote this message)
Stand aside Sony and Microsoft, the Wii is back and bigger than ever....New Wii

Well Perhaps not quite!

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
04 June 2009 14:04 Reply (Quote this message)
is that the best they can come up with this year?

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
04 June 2009 18:52 Reply (Quote this message)
The whole nintendo presentation was shockingly bad compared to what sony and microsoft had to show.

Spitfire

Forum rank 3 out of 5
16 May 2010 10:44 Reply (Quote this message)
Not sure if you have seen this but it made me laugh lads p1ss take

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
Spitfire

Forum rank 3 out of 5
17 September 2010 20:26 Reply (Quote this message)
I just revived my move controllers and a copy of Sports Champions and Res evil 5 ! They are interesting devices - very sensitive .... I like them

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
D3CYPH3R

Forum rank 3 out of 5
17 September 2010 22:46 Reply (Quote this message)
Yeah played with move today in store and it's not bad, nothing special but good all the same.

Spitfire

Forum rank 3 out of 5
18 September 2010 09:12 Reply (Quote this message)
They take some getting use too but can now confirm the accuracy is pin sharp and speed is fast but controllable . I bought them for the interactive games but the could spell a turning point for shooters for me on consoles ....

Negotiator

Forum rank 3 out of 5
19 September 2010 01:41 Reply (Quote this message)
waiting for some good games to come out before i get it

PS3 motion stuff
Forum Home \ Gaming Chat - Other New Thread New Reply