Login
register search gameSlave

More Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
28 January 2008 14:57 Reply (Quote this message)
Seems the PS3 is really turning the tide, as predicted by many.

Now Woolies are to stop selling HD-DVD disks in their stores. (But not on-line)

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/28/woolworths_exclusively_backing_blu_ray/

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Re0sLess

Forum rank 5 out of 5
28 January 2008 18:27 Reply (Quote this message)
I think the link woolworths_exclusively_backing_blu_ray/ is a bit missledding if they sell hddvd online, but looks like i can but a player soon ... if anyone is every in to take delivery of my fooking TV...

dujeon

Forum rank 1 out of 5
28 January 2008 18:50 Reply (Quote this message)
I have to admit, I bought an hd dvd player as it was multi region, but tbh im regreting the decision alot,
No Country For Old Men is not coming out on hd dvd it looks like. Tbh its looking more and more likely that bluray will win. GAAAHHHH

I have not been micturated on
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
28 January 2008 20:51 Reply (Quote this message)
more blu-ray gumph.

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/high-definition/news/sony-shrinks-blu-ray-lasers-drives-cost-down?articleid=1714997370

Cheaper drives coming soon

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
28 January 2008 21:47 Reply (Quote this message)
Aye I always said that the ps3 would be the winning move in the format wars, I mean look what the ps2 did for dvd.

Re0 m8 talk to me before you buy any bluray player as there are alot of shite ones out there atm.

Felon

Forum rank 5 out of 5
29 January 2008 10:24 Reply (Quote this message)
The only reason im buying a PS3 is for the blu-ray.

Atari 2600 1978-81 -|- ZX81 Spectrum 1982-84 -|- Commodore 64 1984-87 -|- Amiga 500 1988-91 -|- Sega Mega Drive 1992-94 -|- Atari Jaguar 1994-95 -|- Sony PS1/2 1995-04 -|- MS Xbox 2003-06 -|- Flawless 360 01/12/06 and counting.. 28 years gaming, man im old
Spitfire

Forum rank 3 out of 5
29 January 2008 11:44 Reply (Quote this message)
Guys the PS3 is a blinding multimedia device , I can put my hand on heart & say that I use it more for listening to music or having a singing song ( Singstar is the bees knees ) & watching photo shows or home video than for playing games. That will change once I move the LCD to the play room & nab me one of them there SED TV's .

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
shagnastie

The thread resurrection kid

Forum rank 4 out of 5
30 January 2008 10:22 Reply (Quote this message)
Toshiba: It's Just a Flesh Wound

Refusing to admit defeat, Toshiba has decided to buy a $2.7-million 30-second spot on next month's Super Bowl telecast to extol the virtues of the HD DVD high-definition video format. Many analysts have commented that since Warner Home Video decided to drop the format and go exclusively with Sony's Blu-ray format, HD DVD was as good as dead. Sales of HD DVD players have virtually ceased since the Warner Bros. decision, falling 88 percent, while Blu-ray players have soared 43 percent. (On Monday the HD DVD format received another blow when the Woolworth's chain in the U.K. said it would no longer stock HD DVD titles, pointing out that Blu-ray currently outsells HD DVD by a margin of 10-1.) One website depicted Toshiba's defiance with a still photo from a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail in which a knight gamely continues a sword fight with King Arthur as his limbs are slashed off one at a time. (from imdb)

The Legend in his own underpants - Sssshagnastie!!
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
30 January 2008 10:36 Reply (Quote this message)
It's a weird situation, HD-DVD players are much cheaper and are outselling standalone Blu-Ray players hugely. Thing is, the PlayStation 3 is outselling standalone HD-DVD players by a bigger margin.

Without the PS3, HD-DVD would probably already have won, with the PS3 and it's new cheaper prices, Blu-Ray is more or less sure to win. Finally Sony win a format war. After Betamax, and the more or less failure of mini-Disc and those stupid UMD movie discs I suppose they were due a success.

More Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD
Forum Home \ Films, TV Series New Thread New Reply