Login
register search gameSlave

cod loading screen
Saracen

Forum rank 0 out of 5
12 July 2005 01:19 Reply (Quote this message)
Well, everytime i load up cod on the desktop the normal cod sign comes up but takes like 5mins to load into the game.

I knew it must be because i only have half a gb of ram and this was also effecting other programs so i decided to upgrade to 1gb.

Now i have done so it still takes me 5mins and hasnt change a thing, everything else in my computer is fine, appart from the gfx card which is average and plays cod fine and i wouldn't think it would have anything to do with that anyway, but there you go.

Any ideas guys?

Felon

Forum rank 5 out of 5
12 July 2005 01:29 Reply (Quote this message)
Hi Saracen, glad to see your still around. No idea myself but im sure you will get some helpful comments.

Atari 2600 1978-81 -|- ZX81 Spectrum 1982-84 -|- Commodore 64 1984-87 -|- Amiga 500 1988-91 -|- Sega Mega Drive 1992-94 -|- Atari Jaguar 1994-95 -|- Sony PS1/2 1995-04 -|- MS Xbox 2003-06 -|- Flawless 360 01/12/06 and counting.. 28 years gaming, man im old
Tevilspek

Forum rank 1 out of 5
12 July 2005 09:36 Reply (Quote this message)
Howdy Saracen.
How long since you've done either a full system format, or a proper defragmentation (as in, not Windows defrag)?
http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html and others make great defrag software.
I used to do a full defrag every month or two, as I write music on my PC and as soon as the system became clogged, the stability would drop severely.
Now I do a proper defrag every other week and my system runs mighty fine.
Is one option anyways.

Or maybe your harddrive is on the way out?
Other than that, I dunno :S

Saracen

Forum rank 0 out of 5
12 July 2005 14:02 Reply (Quote this message)
Hey, thanks for the help guys.

Well, i hope my harddrive isnt on the way out : / and i cleaned my computer up yesterday, i didnt defragment it but i cleaned all my temporary files, so i guess i should clean the registry and defrag ment it too, i didnt think it would be because of that but i guess it could be.

Thanks for the link, i will try that, and if none of this works i guess ill have to try something else, but i dont have any ideas at the moment.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
12 July 2005 14:09 Reply (Quote this message)
Uninstall COD nand anything else you don't need anymore, defrag, re-install.

Don't forget to save your config files.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Saracen

Forum rank 0 out of 5
12 July 2005 18:22 Reply (Quote this message)
Well i havent uninstalled cod, but i dont keep stuff i dont need on my pc, and i have defragmented it.

That link sent me to the site but the trial i think will not let me save it as it is only a trial so i dont think i will bother with it and i will use the Microsoft one.

This is all making space but nothing is changing, it still takes me ages to load the game, i guess ill have to unintall cod and see if that does anything, thanks.

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
13 July 2005 11:08 Reply (Quote this message)
yeah a reinstall of CoD should fix it... if not somethings wrong with your machine

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Saracen

Forum rank 0 out of 5
14 July 2005 21:42 Reply (Quote this message)
Well i re-installed CoD, defragmented my pc, cleaned it out, cleaned registry, and its still the same as before.

Only thing i can think of now is that i must have a bug or a virus, but my pc hasnt shown any signs of that appart from this.

What do you think?

Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
14 July 2005 22:22 Reply (Quote this message)
mine didnt do exactly that but it was caused by a trojanhorse a freind had loaded through msn >.<

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Saracen

Forum rank 0 out of 5
15 July 2005 00:36  Edited by Felon on 15-Jul-05 at 05:42 Reply (Quote this message)
Well i just found out my antivirus had expired anyway >< so i think ill be downloading the Bitdefender that is suppose to be the best at the moment, and hopefully get rid of the problem.

Also i think i have found a source which only adds to the evidence that i do have a bug or a virus which is causing these problems. My Limewire automatically starts and then when i try and exit it just comes up again without telling me and must allow everyone to download and upload at freewill and so my pc is exposed to anything.

Do i need to update or download any drivers?

StoneR

Forum rank 2 out of 5
01 August 2005 01:52 Reply (Quote this message)
tbh, if you need new AntiVirus, Get AVG, can't remember the link, but Google is always handy, search for AVG anti virus

edgecrusher

Forum rank 0 out of 5
23 August 2005 13:19 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Saracen
...Limewire...

There's one of your problems right there, Limewire (whilst it may have alot of stuff to get your grubby mits on.) is one of the worst resource hogs around, I use a shared 3MB ADSL connection at home, and my old man insists on running that POS every time he turns his goddamn machine on... Needless to say, we (my bro and/or I) either block his IP from the internet, or go & turn it off. Either way, it's a bad program if you want to do anything other than watch the progress bars move... Go & get yourself BitTorrent dude, personally I use Azureus as my client software.

As far as CoD is concerned, there was a bug that meant every time you start the multiplayer part of it that would mean your machine would just sit there for five minutes not doing anything, (as described). The best I can tell is that it's trying to contact a server to verify your CD key (much like Unreal Tournament 2004 does) and the only way I know of speeding the whole process up is to open the single player shortcut and then change to multiplayer mode in-game.

PS. I use Avast! as my virus checker as it monitors your internet connection/email/downloaders and will warn you if there are spurious sites/connections attempting to do nefarious things to you machine...

cod loading screen
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply