Login
register search gameSlave

Network Cable
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
16 March 2010 18:58 Reply (Quote this message)
I need to run about 20 metres of network cable outside along our house, do you guys know the best place to buy external network cable ? Do you even need that nowadays ? I've never run it externally but you used to need to use waterproof shielded external cabling afaik.

Any online shops you know of that are worth it ?

Spitfire

Forum rank 3 out of 5
16 March 2010 19:35 Reply (Quote this message)
Have you got the ability to use power-line as opposed to cable ? Running cable is a bitch & you would need to make sure it is well pinned to the wall or tucked away .

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
16 March 2010 19:45 Reply (Quote this message)
Cable is £11 for 50 metres or less Our house is old so no I can't use power-ethernet stuff as they're on 2 different circuits internally. External cable will be easy to lay, I have the stuff ready I just need to know if I can use normal ethernet cable still or have to buy special external stuff.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
16 March 2010 20:10  Edited by Mani on 16-Mar-10 at 20:10 Reply (Quote this message)
20 metres should be no problem as far as signal goes, 100mtrs might be a bit iffy, but not 20.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Maz

gameSlave Bike Wrecker

Forum rank 5 out of 5
16 March 2010 23:35  Edited by Maz on 16-Mar-10 at 23:36 Reply (Quote this message)
I think there's a company called Sapphire...... that do extra thick PE coated cat 5, a friend of mine used it to run a network (2nd floor down to his garage (office) about 4years back.

I think so long as the connectors are protected and there are no abrasion/split risks you should be fine with standard indoors cat 5

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Issue the orders Sir, and I will storm Hell.
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
17 March 2010 00:14 Reply (Quote this message)
Quote: Mani
20 metres should be no problem as far as signal goes, 100mtrs might be a bit iffy, but not 20.

40 metres is the max before signal dropout and you need a repeater. I'll go with just normal cable. It'll just be a pain if it breaks as I can't find any other info on it needing to be specific external cable anymore.

Bri

Scottish Tart

Forum rank 2 out of 5
17 March 2010 00:14 Reply (Quote this message)
External cable will be easy to lay

you know what else is easy to lay?

Network Cable
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply