Login
register search gameSlave

Windows Home Server + Windows Media Centre
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 October 2009 23:50 Reply (Quote this message)
I have a server running a copy of Windows Home Server and I was wondering if any of you lot new of any TV cards that I could stick in it to make use of the Windows Media Centre recording functions. The server is sat right next to a Sky box so I ideally wanted to record off of Sky TV and back up shows on there so I can stream them to different rooms over the network.

Do any of you know of any TV cards that would be suited to this ?

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
20 October 2009 08:43 Reply (Quote this message)
Not seen home server yet.

I have a TV card here that's not in use though, was really cheap and has dual digital tuners, get one bought man, they're very cheap.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 October 2009 01:04  Edited by Midnight on 21-Oct-09 at 01:05 Reply (Quote this message)
Which card do you have Craig and is it gonna accept the Skytv viewing card or am I only going to be able to record the channel being viewed on the Sky box at the time or what ?

If you have enough bits to make an old spec PC I recommend getting WHS too btw. It's only £60 for the OEM version and I run it on an old athlon with 512mb RAM for backing up my PC's and streaming media.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 October 2009 09:05 Reply (Quote this message)
It's a dual antenna Pinncale, does have a video in port, not sure about recording Sky, I guess that does have the capability to output via an old style antenna cable?

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 October 2009 10:22 Reply (Quote this message)
Yeah, so that means it'd only record off the source and only the channel being viewed at the time. Hmm I was hoping to be able to set up a recording in Media Centre and it have it record much like sky+ does.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 October 2009 10:28 Reply (Quote this message)
I don't think that is possible to be honest.

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 October 2009 11:37 Reply (Quote this message)
It seems people don't sell those TV cards anymore. There used to be ones that accepted the Sky viewing card in them and it functioned the same as Sky+ in your pc. I can't find any new models.

Windows Home Server + Windows Media Centre
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply