Login
register search gameSlave

Help getting a quiter xbox 360
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 01:09 Reply (Quote this message)
I have been diagnosed with yet another problem its called meniere's and basically it is like a permanent middle ear infection.

It also means that certain sounds make my head want to explode or make me want to pass out.

My luck being what it is, my old xbox 360 is one of those sounds.

So I am now trying to find a way to make sure I get as quiet a xbox as possible.

Some people have told me to look for a newer model, but how do I make sure what I get is the right model, and what model am I looking for anyway.

Is it a 65nm version or are there even newer versions than that, what is the manufacture date these new versions started so I can say to the shop any xbox after this date.

Any ideas would be of great help.

Don't say stuff like put it on the floor, as that will just suck dust in and kill it, also don't say stuff like put it in another room I have thought of all of these. I just want to know how to get a new quiet xbox 360 not how to fix mine.

Thanks !

Negotiator

Forum rank 3 out of 5
18 December 2008 01:24 Reply (Quote this message)
if any1 else can help me to make my gf do the same that would be great

thanks

Midnight

I have a big chopper

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 01:24 Reply (Quote this message)
instead of buying a new 360, buy a new CPU fan for it (there's ones made to be much quieter than the stock) and stick some rubber grommets around the DVD drive. There's plenty of sites showing it if you google for "how to make your 360 quieter" and most of them do those steps.

The fan a lot of people use (so i've heard) is this one here

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 01:29  Edited by Stan on 18-Dec-08 at 01:30 Reply (Quote this message)
Two days out of three grant I can't even get out of bed anymore, some how I don't think I am going to be up to taking my xbox to bits.

Thanks for the help, but I did say I don't want tips on making my xbox silent for a reason.

Plus if I upgrade it means I get a bigger hard drive which I need, and a hdmi port not to mention it not making my head want to explode.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 01:44 Reply (Quote this message)
Grant has just posted me this valhalla xbox 360

This is the sort of thing I am looking for, I just need to find out is it in production yet and if so how can I get hold of one.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 02:14 Reply (Quote this message)
Can some one fix spelling in the thread title so I don't look a complete tit, it is late !

Abstract

Forum rank 3 out of 5
18 December 2008 17:33 Reply (Quote this message)
You probably already know, but with the new Xbox Dashboard update you can now install games to your HDD so your 360 doesn't have to constantly read the disc, hence making the whole gaming experience quieter.

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 21:50 Reply (Quote this message)
I have tried this and not only can you really not fit many games onto a 20 gig hard drive but it still doesn't reduce the noise enough.

Thanks for the thought but as I said before I have thought of and tried things to make my new xbox silent, I need to find a way to make sure the NEW xbox I buy will be silent.

I.E What date does it have to be manufactored after to get the new smaller cpu and gpu.

Is the elite always quieter than the arcade.

etc

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 December 2008 23:05 Reply (Quote this message)
I saw an article the other day on how to tell which 360 is the new 'jasper' system, will try and find it later.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
19 December 2008 09:28 Reply (Quote this message)
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper-ben-heck-dissects-the-mythical-consol/

About half way down is how to spot a new 65nm 'jasper' Xbox 360, it's the voltage of 12.1amp on the barcode.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
19 December 2008 19:43 Reply (Quote this message)
Thanks a lot mate you are a star and that was just the kind of post I was hoping for !

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
18 January 2009 20:45 Reply (Quote this message)
Ok got a jasper 360 and its MUCH more quiet, thanks a lot to everyone who helped.

Incase anyone is intrested I got it from a chips store.

What is annoying is I can't use my online profile on both machines, sure I didn't think I would be able to use em both at the same time, but I should be able to use one if the other is not online.

Bloody microsoft !!!

Help getting a quiter xbox 360
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply