Login
register search gameSlave

Bloat Wear Rant
Re0sLess

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 August 2007 14:11 Reply (Quote this message)
WARNING Angry Rants Follow....

For the last few weeks at work we have been buying dell laptops, like they were going out of fashion (11 so far), for the most part they are nice little machines, duel core, 1gb ram and a nice shiny box, we sell them on to our customers with our software, so we should be getting more.

So, with 11 set-ups under my belt you can imagine my annoyance with dells bloatwere (and other leading companys), so here is the process i have to go throw each and every time i set one up.

Install XP (well register it)
Un-install Google desktop (why would i want this when the laptop comes with MS Works?)
Un-install Tiscaly Internet Preload
Un-install Orange Preload
Un-install the 30 day version of MC Anti virus
Un-install Search optimizers

Install the full version of MC Antivirus
Install flash (unticking the install Google desktop box)
Install Acrobat reader (unticking the install Google desktop box)
+ one or two others that I have forgot.

all this even before we install out software, its madness. Granted I could just Ghost the drive (if i have ghost at work)

all this takes over 30 mins, so thats 330 mins i have spent removing Google and the likes stupid software, dont get me wrong Google is the only search engine I use and it a very good one, I just don't want its desktop search/ tool bars.

I am sure there is a reason for all this bloat ($$$) but it really annoys the hell out of me, every time i install free software I get bugged about one toolbar or another.

Ok that's my rant over, am i been over the top or does this annoy anyone else?

Stan

Film Guru

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 August 2007 19:36 Reply (Quote this message)
Aye it piss's me off too mate but most of the software with all this bloatware crap in is free, and I guess this is the price we pay.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
21 August 2007 19:53 Reply (Quote this message)
If you buy the posh machines that are not made for average consumers, they have no bloatware

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
malis

Forum rank 4 out of 5
21 August 2007 20:21 Reply (Quote this message)
aint nowt more annoying than bloat

gameSlave
Bloat Wear Rant
Forum Home \ Hardware/Software Support New Thread New Reply