Login
register search gameSlave

Back to Basics ?
Junks

Forum rank 0 out of 5
27 November 2004 00:11  Edited by Junks on 27-Nov-04 at 00:39 Reply (Quote this message)
I was just reading Mani's Doom3 review (was actually looking for Stan's for a giggle) and the subsequent messages afterward when something struck me hard enough to formulate a post for it all on its own....

I was a massive Doom2 fan, really massive, really really massive. Loved it. I got into Doom2 mapping and loved that too, probably more than the game itself.

Now I haven't played Doom3 yet, but after reading a review from an experienced gamer I know whats its going to be like. I'll probably buy it anyway, any game that raises the bar even if it is only is certain areas (graphics + sound) I normally don't mind shelling out for.

You guys who have played it will have to correct me if I'm wrong here. What I loved about Doom2 was the wonderful simplicity of it. There was no poxy storyline stuck in to flesh out a what was a shoot-em-up with style, but there was a little more than just blood 'n' guts carnage to keep gamers interested. You had to clear that area out to get the blue key so that opened this door to the area that led to the red key that led to the end-of-level boss and exit. It was absoloute carnage, but always with enough thought so that the carnage did not become boring. Too simple for todays games you say? I disagree.

Thats what Doom did well. Brilliantly in fact. If we want a great FPS game along with an immersive storyline with cut scenes every so often to bring the story along then we will play Half-Life 2. Thats what they do well.

I just think (I know I havent even played the ****ing game yet!) that more of the old and less of what developers feel they have to do because 'thats whats expected of the next generation of games'.

I suppose you could go back to old coin-ops and Spectrums and C64's (I'm so old I had a ZX81! hah). Looking at them now they look totally crap comapred to todays games, even with the benefit of rose-tinted glasses, but stick a MAME emulator on with a bit of Rainbow Islands or Wonderboy and I'm addicted for hours, even now.

Gameplay, some developers still realise its the single-most important factor in a game, some just dont. Looks like iD have forgotten.

Mani

Editor

Forum rank 5 out of 5
27 November 2004 10:18 Reply (Quote this message)
If youre looking for an old skool doom2 style shooter, you should try Painkiller.

Lot of people love it, I didn't like to weapons in the demo though, just couldn't relate to it.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Forum Home \ Gaming Chat - Shooters New Thread New Reply